Please carefully read and review the following procedures with your children and all family members involved in helping your children get to and from school. These procedures are designed to keep all of our students safe as they arrive and depart from school each day.
Walking to School: Students walking to school are encouraged to do so safely, using common sense, using cross-walks, electronic pedestrian crossing signals, and remaining aware of traffic at all road-crossings, intersections and stop-lights.
Bicycling to School: Students riding to school are strongly encouraged to use bicycle safety rules and practices. http://kidshealth.org/kid/watch/out/bike_safety.html is an internet resource that students and parents may want to use for helpful bicycle safety tips and suggestions. All students riding a bicycle to school must wear a helmet. Bicycles should be securely stored and locked in the bike rack located at the southeast side of the school building facing the High School building. Awareness of others and bicycle safety must be practiced, and walking the bicycle while on school grounds is strongly recommended.
Student Drop-Off / Pick-Up by Vehicle: Parents and adults dropping students off in the morning or picking them up in the afternoon will adhere to the following procedures:
- The school parking lots will be closed to unauthorized vehicles during the school year from 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Families should not pull into any of the Melrose Public School parking lots. Please contact the main office of the middle school (781-979-2100) if you require special accommodations. Staff will be present to help redirect traffic in the morning and afternoon. Signage is posted at the entrance of the driveways.
- The designated student Drop-off / Pick-up Zone is located on either side of Lynn Fells Parkway, directly in front of the MVMMS school building. Parents and adults dropping off are required to take note of the signs on the parkway which indicates a specific stop line before the crosswalk. Those violating this stop line and dropping off within the crosswalk may be ticketed by State Police who will be monitoring this area for safety.
- U-turns on the Parkway are forbidden and may also result in ticketing via the State Police.
- On either side of the Parkway, students must exit vehicles through the passenger-side only please. Students exiting on the north side of the Fellsway must use the electronic Cross-walk feature located on both stop light poles, and cross only in the designated Cross-Walk lanes.
- After students carefully exit the vehicle, drivers should carefully pull back into traffic, and exit the Pick-up / Drop-off Zone safely taking special note to only proceed during the Yellow Flashing Light. Passing through the crosswalk on a solid yellow light is not permitted. Parking in the Pick-up / Drop-off Zone is not permitted during Pick-up / Drop-off time.
Please Note: Only use the MVMMS Pick-up / Drop-off Zones. Driveways and parking areas in front of and behind MVMMS and MHS are off-limits to parents for driving and parking,