Eighth Grade is a very exciting year for students and families. Preparing for High School and making decisions related to classes and electives in high school can take a great deal of collaboration, communication and thought. We also like to be sure to celebrate the accomplishments of our students and give them opportunities to reflect back on their time at MVMMS with culminating experiences and fond memories.
Spring 2019 Activities
- Class Trip – TBD
- 8th Grade Semi-Formal
- June in the MVMMS cafeteria, 7 pm. (Date TBD.)
- Tickets will go on sale in May.
- Only single tickets will be sold.
- This is a “date-less” event that is open to all MVMMS 8th Grade students.
- Catered dinner is provided and Professional DJ will provide entertainment all night.
- 8th Grade BBQ
- June 2020.
- Hosted by the PTO, all volunteers must be registered with the Bridge and have a current CORI.
- Class of 2024 T-shirt signing.
- Yearbook sales
- Yearbook order deadline in TBD.
- No guarentee of yearbook if not ordered by deadline.
High School Transition Information
2019-2020 Course Selection Process Timeline – TBA.
- Mid March:
- 8th grade students and staff (by team) meet with high school staff during extended team time.
- Topics to be covered include: entire course selection process, the high school Program of Studies (available online), how teacher recommendations happen for core subjects, Pathways, Electives, and Co-Curricular offerings, high school experience, expectations, graduation requirements, MCAS, and community service requirements.
- Students should consider their choices, look at Program of Studies online, and discuss options with their teachers and parents.
- Later in March, counselors will be available in the MVMMS cafeteria during 8th grade lunches to answer any elective questions.
- Late March: 8th grade core subject teachers enter recommendations directly into Aspen for students going into the 9th grade next year.
- Early April: Students will be provided with instructions on how to enter their elective choices into Aspen.
- June: Students receive preliminary schedules before leaving for summer.
Melrose High School Department Directors
|Ms. Lindsey Dobbinsldobbins@melroseschools.com||Guidance Administrator for Counseling & Student Services||(781) 462-3239|
|Ms. Laurie Greenwood||Math Director||(781) 462-3217|
|Ms. Melissa Rice||Science, Technology & Engineering|
|Ms. Angela Singer||Humanities Director||(781) 462-3229|
|TBA||Global Language, Visual and Performing Arts Director||(781) 462-3228|
|Mr. Stephen Fogarty||Physical Education, Health & Athletics Director||(781) 462-3223|
|8th grade BBQ Letter 2019||214.05 KB|