In order to ensure students arrive and leave school safely compliance with the following arrival and dismissal procedures is crucial. Families are only allowed to enter and exit the Franklin Early Childhood Center via the Main Door facing Franklin Street. This door remains locked and monitored by a staff member stationed at the door and/or by staff via camera located in the main office. Families may choose to drop their child (ren) off /pick them up in the driveway or park their car and bring them to their classroom at arrival /meet them at the designated walking dismissal location at dismissal. Both these options are described in detail below. If you are interested in utilizing the driveway to pick-up your child, parents/guardians are required to fill out a form advising the teacher in writing of this preference. Please read the following with care.
Driveway Arrival Procedures
- Vehicles traveling East on Franklin Street, make a right turn ONLY. NO LEFT TURNS into our driveway when traveling West on Franklin Street. PLEASE NOTE driveway parking is limited to staff and those with a handicap placard ONLY.
- As vehicles enter the driveway, they must pull forward toward the designated drop off zone. Cars must use only the left lane before starting a second lane on the right.This allows traffic to flow as needed.
- Cell phone use while in the driveway is prohibited and adults must remain in their vehicles at all times.
- Children must remain buckled in safety seats at all times when waiting in the driveway.
- All car engines must be turned-off while in the designated drop-off zone.
- When in the designated drop off zone our “driveway helpers” will direct staff who will then open the door and help children get out of their car seats.
- Once inside the building, children will be supervised by staff until escorted to their classrooms by ECC staff.
- In order to expedite the arrival process, please pay particular attention to the times listed below.
- No child will be allowed access to the school via the driveway until the appropriate scheduled time.
- For arrival after scheduled driveway drop-off time please see late arrival procedures.
- Cars may only enter the driveway 10 minutes prior to the start of driveway arrival. For the 8:25-8:35 arrival cars may enter at 8:15. Drivers entering before the designated time will be asked to drive through and re-enter at the designated time.
|Class||Driveway Arrival Times||Classes Begin|
|Kindergarten, Multi-Age, PreK & Preschool (full day)||8:25-8:35||8:30|
FOR ARRIVAL AFTER SCHEDULED DRIVEWAY DROP OFF TIME PLEASE SEE LATE ARRIVAL PROCEDURES. WHEN ARRIVING LATE CARS MAY NOT PARK IN THE DRIVEWAY OR ANY DESIGNATED STAFF PARKING.
Walking Arrival Procedure
- Parking is also available in the parking lot at the end of Greenleaf Place. Please do not park on Greenleaf Place.
- We must be good neighbors and park only in designated areas. Do not park in local business lots or resident parking.
- A traffic crossing guard is assigned to the intersection of Franklin and Main Street to assist with pedestrian crossing. Please only cross where there is a crosswalk.
- Families may enter the building only through the main doors facing Franklin Street.
- In order to expedite the arrival process, please pay particular attention to the arrival times. No child will be allowed access to the school until the appropriate scheduled time. If you arrive before the designated time frame, please be prepared to wait patiently until a staff member arrives to monitor the door.
|Class||Arrival Door Times||Classes Begin|
|Multi-Age, PreK & Preschool (full day)||8:25-8:35||8:30|
* KINDERGARTEN STUDENTS WILL LINE UP AT THE FRONT DOOR IN THE DESIGNATED AREA AND WILL ENTER THE BUILDING WITH THEIR TEACHER.
If you arrive after 8:30 with your kindergarten student please sign the attendance log as the student will need to be recorded as tardy on their attendance record.
Families may choose to either pick up their child(ren) in the driveway or park their car and pick them up at the designated dismissal location at dismissal.
Driveway Dismissal Procedure
- Children will be brought to the driveway from the classroom.
- Each car will have a sign (provided by the ECC) on the dashboard that identifies the child’s name.
- Vehicles that are in the marked pick-up zone must shut off their car engines.
- Children will be escorted to their vehicle and parents will be responsible for buckling their child(ren) prior to turning on the ignition.*
- Please notify classroom staff by sending a note in the morning if the “regular” pick-up person is different on a particular day. The individual must have proper identification and have been included on the Parental Release Permission Document.
- In order to expedite the dismissal process, please pay particular attention to the dismissal time below
- Cars may only enter the driveway 10 minutes prior to the start of driveway dismissal. The 2:37- 2:47 dismissal cars may enter at 2:27.
|Class||Driveway Dismissal Times|
|Multi-Age, PreK & Preschool||2:37|
|Kindergarten||2:47 (please enter the driveway after 2:40)|
For dismissal after scheduled driveway pick-up time please follow Late Pick-Up Procedures. Please also note if you are not registered for the after-school program and you are late picking up your child a fee of $10 per five minute increments will be incurred.
Walking Dismissal Procedure
- Caregivers picking children up will wait outside the designated doorway at the conclusion of the day.
- Please notify classroom staff by sending in a note in the morning if the “regular” pick-up person is different on a particular day. The individual must have proper identification and have been included on the Parental Release Permission Document.
- In order to expedite the dismissal process, please pay particular attention to the times/locations listed below.
- Please note on days when classes are using the outside play areas at the end of the day dismissal will happen from the playground.
- Please also note if you are not registered for after-school and you are late picking up your child a fee of $10 per five minute increments will be incurred.
Walking Dismissal Times/Location
2:37 dismissal from the Front Door: Becca, Darlene, Kara, Melissa, Marie, Shannon
2:47 KINDERGARTEN dismissal from the Front Door: Ms. Kathy Bishop/Ms. Stephanie O'Brien, Ms. Jocelyn Robichaud
2:37 dismissal from the Courtyard: Mary, Janet, Andrea, Stefanie, Janice, Kristen, Lori, Wendy
Late Arrival, Early Dismissal Procedure & Late Dismissal Procedures
- If you arrive after the designated arrival/dismissal time or you are dismissing your child early you will need to park in the designated parking areas. YOU MAY NOT PARK IN THE DRIVEWAY.
- If you arrive after the designated arrival time-frame or you are dismissing your child early you will need to check in at the office before proceeding to the classroom.
- If you need to dismiss your child early or you are bringing your child to school late you will be asked to sign the regular attendance log. A staff member will then alert the classroom teacher that you are in the building and heading to the classroom.
- Please also note if you are not registered for after-school care and you arrvie after the dismissal time your child will be brought to driveway door #10 to wait with Stay and Play staff. A FEE OF $10 PER FIVE MINUTE INCREMENTS WILL BE INCURRED FOR USE OF STAY AND PLAY SERVICES. THIS ALSO PERTAINS TO EARLY RELEASE DAY LATE PICK UPS.
- Visitors who will be spending time outside the Franklin drop off and pick up time-frame must sign the visitor log, wear a visitor badge and have completed the Bridge Volunteer process.
Throughout the District we continue to work with the Melrose Police Department as we carefully monitor safety procedures. We ask that you please support these efforts by using extra care when driving on Greenleaf Place and in our driveway. Families and young children will be coming and going from our building throughout the day. We see parents/guardians as crucial partners in the educational process and as such we value your support and your feedback. Please contact your child’s teacher or Franklin Director if you have questions or concerns regarding safety these procedures.*Melrose Police Department officials are available for car sear safety checks. If you are interested, please call the school safety officer at 781-979-4485 to set-up an appointment.