MPS Visual Arts Department
VISUAL ARTS DEPARTMENT IS AN IMPRESSIVE, ROBUST PROGRAM FOR OUR STUDENTS IN GRADES K TO 12!
Visual Arts Mission Statement The Mission of the Melrose Visual Arts Department is to foster life-long learning through the arts supporting students as they become productive, expressive members of a diverse global society. An effective visual arts curriculum is cumulative and comprehensive. Students will explore new media and connect to a variety of resources and techniques using methods of instruction that are responsive to the individual learner. Examination of historical and cultural significance in the visual arts leads to a deeper understanding of self, others and the world. Higher order thinking and problem-solving skills build self esteem, awareness and contribute to essential human experiences.
The Goals of the Visual Art Program, K-12 are to:
- Adhere to the guidelines provided by the Massachusetts & National Visual Arts Curriculum Frameworks
- Provide a challenging, sequential curriculum with high expectations for all students.
- Facilitate knowledge of visual art by focusing on art appreciation, aesthetic value, art criticism and respect for one’s own work and that of others.
- Enable students to view a work of visual art and analyze its relationship to the elements and principals of design
- Accommodate individual learning styles.
- Provide a safe environment conducive to artistic risk-taking and expression.
- Provide an opportunity to learn about a variety cultures through visual art.
- Understand how visual art plays an integral role in our everyday lives.
- Develop student confidence in a creative process that includes a variety of skills and techniques.
- Instill knowledge of prominent visual artists and historical art movements as well as contemporary artists.
- Encourage and nurture growth through process exploration and discovery.
- Support critical thinking and problem solving – students question, investigate, provide evidence, observe and describe, compare and contrast, make choices and explore various view points.
- Integrate the visual arts with other disciplines to support students in gaining a larger perspective of their world.
VISUAL & PERFORMING ARTS PRESENTATIONS
by Visual & Performing Arts Director K-12, Deborah DiFruscia, M.Ed.
|Kim Talbot||Visual & Performing Arts Director K-12||(781)462-3228|
Contact Kim by email
Phone (781) 462-3228
Follow Us on Twitter @MelroseVPArts
Join us for our virtual art show on Instagram