What is PBIS?
It doesn’t matter if you’re a Winthrop Wildcat, Hoover Hawk, Horace Mann Husky, Lincoln Lion, or a Roosevelt Raven, you’ve probably heard about your school’s Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports (PBIS) system. A school wide PBIS is a key component of the social emotional learning that is occurring throughout every day in all aspects of the school environment. Each school community has developed their own PBIS using some of the following elements:
- Three to five positively stated and defined school-wide expectations positively defined
- Expectations regularly taught in both classroom and non-classroom settings
- School-wide reinforcement plan to acknowledge expected behavior
- Plan a continuum of consequences for rule violations
- Evidence-based classroom management practices
The core of each school’s PBIS is to create a safe and welcoming, learning environment where trusting, supportive relationships are fostered and behavior expectations are explicitly taught.
- What is PBIS?
- Strategies for Social Awareness
- Strategies for Self Management
- Strategies for Self Awareness
- Strategies for Responsible Decision Making
- Strategies for Relationship Skills
- Developing a Growth Mindset