MELROSE, Mass. (January 17, 2020)—As part of the Superintendent Search process, the Melrose School Committee is committed to having a diverse and inclusive preliminary Screening Committee that will include representation from the School Committee, Melrose Public Schools staff members, community representatives, and parents. The goal of the Superintendent Search Screening Committee is to put forward three (3) to five (5) candidates whom the Screening Committee believes to be a high quality fit to assume the duties and responsibilities of the next Melrose Superintendent of Schools. As such, the School Committee, as the hiring body, wishes to assemble a wide variety of stakeholder groups and voices to represent the broadest view of the district’s needs among applicants committed to the process timeline, confidentiality, and the laws and regulations of the Commonwealth. The Committee aims to select an inclusive Steering Committee that reflects the diversity of the community, including a diversity of experiences with (and within) the school district.
- 2 School Committee members (in addition to Screening Committee Chair Driscoll)
- 1 District Administrator
- 3 District Teachers (ideally, one from each of the following school levels: Pre-K/Elementary; Middle School; High School)
- 1 District Principal
- 1 Staff Member (from a bargaining group/unit/category other than those identified above)
- 3 Parents (ideally, one from each of the following school levels: Pre-K/Elementary; Middle School; High School)
- 2 Community Representatives
- 1 Expert in the Field of Education
To be considered for the Steering Committee, you must be available on the late afternoon/evenings of:
- February 3, 2020 – Orientation Meeting of the Screening Committee - 1.5 - 2 hours. Start time at 6:00 pm.
- February 24, 2020 – Initial Meeting of the Screening Committee – 1.5 - 2 hours. Start time at 6:00 pm. The Screening Committee will receive application packets and begin to finalize interview questions.
- February 27, 2020 –Screening Committee Workshop – 2.5 hours. Start time at 6:00 pm. The Screening Committee will identify candidates to be invited for interviews during the week of March 3-6 and finalize interview questions.
- Week of March 3 – 6 – Executive Session Candidate Interviews, late afternoon/early evenings.
How to Volunteer for the Screening Committee:
If you are interested in being considered and can be available on the dates/times identified above, please contact School Committee Chair, Ed O’Connell, via email at [email protected], or by mail/hand-delivery to Melrose School Committee Chair, 360 Lynn Fells Parkway, Melrose, MA 02176, not later than 4:00 pm on Friday, January 24 with a brief introduction and explanation of why you would like to be a member of the Screening Committee. We will likely receive more interest in serving than our process allows. The difficult decision will be based on our attempt to have a Screening Committee that is broadly representative of the Melrose community.