Children, who are three on or before September 1st of any year, as verified by birth certificate, may participate in our tuition based preschool programs at the Franklin Early Childhood Center that September. Consideration for Early Admissions to Franklin ECC may occur after August 22nd only if there are program openings available in our full day preschool program.
If a child who is a resident of Melrose does not meet the age requirement for admission into the Franklin but will be three on or before December 31st, the child’s parent or guardian may petition the Director of the Franklin Early Childhood Center to request early admission, provided the following criteria are met:
1. The request must be submitted in writing to the Director of the Franklin Early Childhood Center before the start of the school year. This requirement shall be waived for families who move into Melrose after the start of the school year.
2. The child will have successfully participated in a full day program for toddlers the previous school year.
3. If the above criteria are met, the child will be evaluated for early admission, based on the following factors:
- Letter from pediatrician summarizing the child’s developmental history.
- Toddler program records, such as the child’s portfolio and progress reports. .
- Letter from the child’s current teacher regarding the child’s readiness for participation in a 3 year old class in a preschool program.
- Observation/interview by a school district evaluation team, which may include observation of the child in a classroom setting.
- Family interview with the Franklin Director.
The Franklin Early Childhood Center’s Early Admission Team will consist of a Franklin administrator or his or her designee, a school psychologist or social worker and a Franklin ECC teacher. The team will consider the information provided pursuant to the above-listed factors and make a recommendation regarding the child’s readiness for early admission, in light of the child’s social, emotional, intellectual and physical development. The Franklin ECC Director shall make the final decision as to whether the petition for early admission should be granted.
Early Admission to the Franklin ECC preschool program does not impact the District’s requirement that any child who is of school age who resides in the City of Melrose may attend the Melrose Public Schools. Children, who are five on or before September 1st of any year, as verified by birth certificate, may enroll in kindergarten that September.