Any child who is of school age who resides in the City of Melrose may attend the Melrose Public Schools. Children, who are six on or before September 1st of any year, as verified by birth certificate, may enroll in first grade that September.
If a child does not meet the age requirement for admission into first grade, the child’s parent or guardian may petition the Melrose Public Schools to request early admission, provided the following criteria are met:
- The request must be submitted in writing to the Superintendent no later than March 1. This requirement shall be waived for families who move into Melrose after March 1.
- The child will have successfully completed a public school Pre-Kindergarten or Kindergarten program or a private, accredited Pre-Kindergarten or Kindergarten program by the end of the school year.
- If the above criteria are met, the child will be evaluated for early admission, based on the following factors:
- Letter from pediatrician summarizing the child’s developmental history.
- Pre-Kindergarten or Kindergarten records, such as the child’s portfolio and progress reports.
- Assessment data from the Iowa Acceleration Scale and/or the Battelle Developmental Inventory.
- Letter from the child’s current teacher regarding the child’s readiness for first grade.
- Observation/interview by a school district evaluation team, which may include observation of the child in a classroom setting.
- Family interview with the Superintendent.
The evaluation team will consist of a building principal or his or her designee, a school psychologist, a Kindergarten and a first grade teacher. The team will consider the information provided pursuant to the above-listed factors and make a recommendation to the Superintendent regarding the child’s readiness for early admission, in light of the child’s social, emotional, intellectual and physical development. The Superintendent shall make the final decision as to whether the petition for early admission should be granted.
School Committee guidelines for class size will provide the basis for all early admission decisions. School assignments for first grade early admission placement will be determined based upon space availability at individual schools.